Family-Based Adjustment of Status to Legal Permanent Resident

Under some circumstances, a U.S. citizen or permanent resident family member may be able to apply for a relative while the relative is in removal proceedings.  Even if U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has denied the application, the immigration judge can hear the case.  In some cases, a person can even ask for a waiver of a crime, a misrepresentation, or other violations of the immigration law with the application for permanent residence. More information regarding eligibility to adjust to permanent resident through a family member can be found here.