Marriage Based Petitions

When a U.S. citizen residing in the United States marries a foreign national, the foreign national becomes eligible to receive a “green card” based on that marriage. If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse is considered to be an “immediate relative” and he/she may apply for permanent residency. In order to be granted permanent residency, your spouse’s relationship with you must be established and your spouse must be admissible to the United States under the immigration law. Also, the marriage must be bona fide and must not be entered into for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services takes fraudulent marriage seriously and you will be asked to provide supporting documents to show that the marriage is valid.

Contact us for additional information on marriage to a U.S. citizen and guidance through what can be a complex process.