Employment Visas

In order to work in the United States, a foreign national must have an immigration status that permits employment. The petition process and requirements depend on a variety of different factors, including the foreign national’s citizenship, the type of work that he or she will perform, his or her educational background and work experience, and whether the individual is inside or outside the U.S.

Frequently Asked Questions about Employment and Training Visas

What is a Working Visa?

Working visas can take various forms, but in general they are non-immigrant visas that allow a foreign national to work in the U.S. for a specific amount of time.

How do I Apply for a Working Visa?

In some cases, your employer applies for the visa in the U.S., and then you apply at the U.S. consulate abroad. In other cases you apply directly to the consulate. Specific visas require specific documentation. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you with all the requirements for a working visa.

How Long Does it Take to Get a Working Visa?

The U.S. State Department lists the wait times for non-immigrant visa appointments on its website at travel.state.gov.

What are the Benefits and Limitations for a Spouse and Children?

The rules vary depending on the type of non-immigrant visa, but in general spouses and children of a family member with a non-immigrant visa are allowed to study, but not work, while in the U.S.

If you or a family member needs legal assistance with immigration or an employment visa, please contact us to set up an initial consultation.